Thursday, June 16, 2011

6 Piece Fly Rod Build

I have had this blank  and the rest of the parts for a while now, so I really need to get started .I am planning on taking it with me when my wife and I go to Wyoming this September.  It is a Cabelas Stowaway blank (to replace the one that my wife bought me that I broke), a six piece. I was a little leery of this, I thought finding the spine would be difficult, but then I realized that the spine is only critical in the parts of the blank that will be bending. As this blank is a moderate fast , it will only be bending in the top 2/3 of the blanks. So I found the spine in the top four pieces of the blank , and sighted the last 2 pieces. I also lined up the decal they have on the blank to the correct position to the right of the reel seat.


I began with marking the spine on all pieces of the blank and also I put a tic where each with connect to aid in aliening the pieces. Next I did a build-up of fiber glass Dry Wall Tape it will act as the arbor between the reel seat and the rod blank.




Got this from acid rod , just thought it was cool.



 I like to use the Fiber Glass Dry Wall Tape for arbors. I can make them fit exactly, and I work the epoxy into them all the way to the blank so it will be solid once cured.
The Cork handle I am using is an Cork Burl, I like the character it has.I think it will look good , also went with the full  well just because. LOL

I am building this in the spare time I have so it will be done in installments to this blog. So bear with me . it is funny ,I thought when I retired I would have tons of time on my hands. But no , I seem to be busier than ever. I will post as the rod progresses.

































No comments:

Post a Comment