Monday, May 23, 2011

Tying up some foam Flies

Saturday the 21st the FAAN(Fayetteville Area Anglers Network) set up our booth at the Chalk Banks Raft and Kayak/Canoe races. They were held at the Lumber River State Park in Wagram NC. We had a good time, we did some fly casting demonstrations and fly tying demos also. I was assigned the task of tying foam flies, mostly for sun fish, as that is what most of our fly fishing in this part of NC . So here are the flies that I tied, sorry no pictures of the event forgot the camera in the truck.


Here is a sparkle frog , Tied with craft foam with adhesive backing, from Wally World. Inner body is a sparkle chenille from Hobby Lobby. Back legs are paired hen hackles dye green ,and the front legs are silicone skirts for jigs and spinner baits, and the eyes are doll eyes available in any craft store.
 These flies that I tied , go to show the this art does not have to be a very expensive hobby. These flies are proven fish catching bugs.So when you start to get down about the cost of hackles, which I agree is getting outrageous, remember why we tie flies. To catch fish, and the fish are not as picky as some would lead us to believe, if it looks faintly like food , or a threat they will eat it.
Of course this is just my Not So Humble Opinion, and does reflect the views of this Blog. LOL


 These next couple of fly are a wiggler / diving fly. I am sure most of us remember the banana like hard plastic lures in old tackle boxes...Same principle.




These are just some more frogs , not my design and I think they are aptly name Kermit. I added the red inner foam and chenille just to add some color.

This I did come up with . One of the wild life workers had a booth set up where he had scooped up a bunch of aquatic life from the river and had it on display. What caught my attention was the length of the legs on almost everything . From the dragon fly nymphs tothe the damsel fly nymphs, they were all very long in proportion to the body. We do the same thing here at our local lake and get the same bugs but they all have short legs, it was just weird to me. So I tied this with the long legs and hope to try it out tomorrow on the cape Fear river.

This little guy is sort of a stone fly/ damsel fly nymph  What ever our blue gill think it is they nail it on the top water.

These guys are my wasps. The pattern I found some where on line from a fellow over in Europe, I don't remember his name but he said it worked like a charm, and he was right.


 Here are some of my Yellow butt Bees. They get nailed pretty hard too. I think because they are bulky and the gills see it as a huge meal.

 A couple of Flying Ants for when they start to swarm. Not too long now in this part of NC if they haven't already.
 This is one of the hoppers I like to use with one or two nymphs on droppers below it. It dose get hit quite a bit also.


Well there they are going to put them to the test tomorrow , heading out on the Cape Fear in the morning. Looks like a good day so should be fun . I won't forget the camera this time so I hope to post up the results of these new flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment